
Doers and Dreamers
The woman who slouched in the seat of the bus distressed me. Her hair was matted, her face dirty, and though it was a cold night outside, she was wearing only a flimsy cotton dress and a blanket through which she had torn holes for her arms.
What should I do? I wondered. She was so obviously in need. And at Christmas time, too. Wasn't there some shelter I could direct her to, some place where she'd get all the attention she required? No, I finally reasoned, her problems were too much for me.
As I pondered and rejected possible solutions to the woman's plight, the bus came to a stop. A young woman poorly dressed but neat, rose to leave. She had got out and the bus started up again before I really noticed what she had done. She had slipped off her gloves and laid them on her lap
This was left on our doorstep from the Memorial Ward Relief Society. Not only did I make use of the gloves immediately, but will definitely keep this thought in mind. How many of us are dreamers? Dreamers by knowing we can help somebody - but never actually doing it? How many of us are doers? Doers by setting aside our own needs for the needs of others? Although we are always reminded to give during the holidays, but with a new year approaching, how about living it every day of our lives?



1 comment:
That's so great! If you don't mind, I'd like to do it for my neighbors next year. Thank you for sharing it.
Post a Comment