Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Lifestyle change...

A few days ago, my Turbo Kick instructor posted this as her status:

"Those who think they have not time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness."

Although there are some illnesses we can not avoid, there are a lot that can be avoided with proper exercise and diet.

It's not easy - and we live in a time where everything is convenient. Everything is pretty much available at the touch of a button. If you think about it....

-we drive cars/or ride cars to get to our various destinations
-we don't have to farm or prepare our food
-we don't have to get up to change the channel on the tv
-we have entertainment such as tv, computers, video games, etc. which requires us to just sit and watch (a few exceptions with new video games that make your move)
-doors, stairs, elevators - they open or move automatically for us

...and the list goes on and on.

As an adult with kids, I would put my kids in sports and extracurricular activities to keep my kids occupied and out of trouble. I also put them in to be physically active. It wasn't until a few years ago that it dawned on me that I should probably get out myself and be more physically active.

Some may say I'm trying to promote 'being skinny', but really it's not about that. It's about having better health. I know several people that are skinny, but not healthy. And most of them have told me that their doctor has recommended they get some exercise in.

Now everyone knows I love Zumba and would recommend it to all. But I realize, it's not for everyone. What I'm trying to say is, find something that you enjoy and be consistent with it. Be more physically active, even if it means parking your car farther out, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, etc. It doesn't take a gym membership or trainer to get started. Walking around the block or the school track is a start. Just do something and in no time, not only will you feel better, but you'll look better as well!!!

No comments: